SIDEBAR
I
D
E
B
A
R
Where Will Your Wallet Take You for Spring Vacation?
January 26th, 2017 by Jeffrey Lubeck

Normally [and in some respects feels as if always] a large fractional percentage of TUS Membership gets together during the NCAA Basketball Tournament at the site (Sub Regional, Regional, Final Four) hosting MSU’s drive to the National Championship.  In many respects a road trip to March Madness is effectively our normal Spring Vacation.

In 2017, the new normal may be no appearance by the Women’s or Men’s basketball team.  This condition for 2017 is not only possible, it sits somewhere between likely-to-certain.  Wow, this is hard to believe from such a storied program.  But hey lets not forget – Little Nappy at Paris (LNAP) lost to Clark at Waterloo (CAW) even though Joe Lunardi and KenPom gave Clark 0.001% chance of winning and advancing to the next round.

Given there might be an opportunity to expand your horizons and travel to a non-basketball tournament city for a vacation this spring; where would you (or are actually planning to) go?

26 Responses
  • Jeffrey Lubeck writes:
    January 26th, 20177:18 pmat

While it may not be golfing for 36 straight hours, or traveling to Europe to determine how non-natural language is spoken in automobiles for the next 10 years, I plan to have an eventful and exhilarating time during this period.

February 28th through March 10th 2017: Traverse the entire Sawtooth Wilderness West to East by Fair Means; including scaling and skiing off the the summit of the [South] Rakers. No one (on record) has accomplished this task.
    March 16th through 20th 2017: Travel to GoSt8GoLand (Richmond VA) to watch the Spartans Baseball team in action. This will be fun if not “Uge.”
    June 8th – June 19th: Travel to Provence (France) and stay at an acquaintance’s “Villa.” I do not even know what to say about this. Question to all: Can you park the large American RV you have rented (outfitted with MSU regalia) at a “Villa”?

The Rakers South to North

• 89 Chemistry writes:
      January 27th, 201710:59 amat

* Please tell us that “Fair Means” precludes you from using your puppies to pull a sled.

* RVing implicitly incorporated the American Can-Do attitude. I believe in your resourcefulness to find a way to get it done.

(Remember: If all else fails due to available space, the “shed” at TUS HQ probably has a can of 89ChemLube Villa-B-Gon remaining. Look on the north wall between the guest snowboard and the Africanized Bee-B-Gon atomizer…)

• Jeffrey Lubeck writes:
        January 27th, 20175:49 pmat

Dogs stay home.

• Kindle writes:
    January 26th, 20179:39 pmat

Cindy and I will be in MSU BEACHWALKER’s neighborhood, to wit…Naples, FL in March.

• Jeffrey Lubeck writes:
      January 27th, 20175:49 pmat

Get a photo of you all together!

• 89 Chemistry writes:
    January 27th, 201710:44 amat

My wallet is less full than I had expected it to be right now.

If Michigan plays less well against MSU than it did last night, I might be able to swing a trip to East Lansing, MI or Sparta, MI in mid-March for:

The 2017 [sponsoring beer TBD] Blink-And-You’ll-Miss-It-But-I-Told-You-So MSU Basketball Vicarious Social Viewing Tour

• JerseyJohn writes:
    January 27th, 20171:14 pmat

I’ve been thinking long and hard about installing one of those endless pool swim spas in my yard. if I do it will be a staycation this spring.

• Jeffrey Lubeck writes:
      January 27th, 20175:48 pmat

Not a bad idea. And you can apply the unused Tourney Budget Dollars towards the project.

• JustABum writes:
    January 29th, 20171:24 pmat

I will be building a wall … and planting hardwood trees.

A stone wall for a patio to feature an outdoor BBQ pit that my wife asked for a few years back. No escaping my stone masonry obligation this year. If I am lucky the family will enjoy a warm spring day on the Wild Atlantic Way cycling trail near Achill Island.

• ATLSpartan writes:
    January 29th, 20171:24 pmat

Had to watch the MSU – scUM game on my laptop. CBS coverage was regional. We don’t have a good basketball team this year, but thank goodness it is good enough to smack a wolverine in East Lansing. We need to string a few wins if we are to extend the streak.

• ATLSpartan writes:
    January 29th, 20171:26 pmat

As far as spring trips I am pretty sure there is a Caribbean Beach in my future at the insistence of my wife.

• Ben Green writes:
    January 29th, 20171:56 pmat

During a disappointing season to date the win today was essential and quite satisfying.

Only 13 assists and out rebounded by 1 but 52% shooting, 46% from the 3, 74% from the line (sorely needed) and solid D by the Spartans. The pretty little jump shooters from um were held to 34% shooting and 27% from the 3.

• LeeBee writes:
      January 29th, 20175:40 pmat

I have not felt this good since FB beat ND.

• 89 Chemistry writes:
    January 29th, 20172:16 pmat

I see this as a win of ambiguous quality. While it was not so close that I would project MSU below a 9-9 B1G season, a light penciling-in of a loss @ Crisler seems prudent to me.

To make the NCAAT, I encapsulate the remaining season as so:
    Practically MUST wins: home except WI; @NE; @IL; one B1G Tournament game.
    Filmy-to-cushiony wins: @MI; @MD; WI; 2+ BIGT games.
    (@PU a nearly-certain loss)

This makes the magic number “three” over the next six games (NE twice; @MI; IA; OSU; @PU): Any three losses among these realistically changes the conversation to NIT seeding. The 4-2 record I project would put MSU at 17-11.

After that stretch, MSU plays WI and IL over six days; plays MD four days thereafter; and will play an 11-14 seed in the B1GT four days after that if it still is in play for an at-large NCAAT bid. Without two of these MSU would finish 18-14 or worse — which appears to be a last-four-in position at best even with MSU’s tough early schedule.

Although WI struggled vs. RU, I still see it as a tougher win to get than one in Champaign. As I no longer see the latter as a high-probability outcome, count me among the on-the-bubble group unless MSU loses Thursday @NE or MSU wins in Ann Arbor.

• 79 Spartan writes:
    January 29th, 20175:31 pmat

Tacos !!!

• JerseyJohn writes:
    January 30th, 20178:31 amat

way to go “big shot quaid-o”

• JustABum writes:
      January 30th, 20178:53 amat

Hey, hey, McQuaid is more important than most fans. know. HE’s GOT TO TAKE AND MAKE THE OPEN SHOTS FOR THIS TEAM TO MAKE THE NCAA’S. Having Narin and McQuaid on the floor at the same time was disastrous for MSU prior to Sunday.

• GoSt8Go writes:
    January 30th, 201711:16 amat

Possible Philly Trip during my youngest’s spring break.

Nice W against the Skunk Bears. Still a lot of defensive breakdowns on this young team. It was nice to see the young guys stay on the court yesterday, vs. foul trouble and having to have bigly walk-on minutes. We will go as far as their defensive effort will take us.

• 79 Spartan writes:
    January 30th, 201711:51 amat

Why is my “Only secure content is displayed” show up every time I access the site?

It happens on my Dell Tablet with Win 8.1 and my office Notebook with Win 7. I haven’t made any changes to my systems.

• GoSt8Go writes:
      January 30th, 20179:41 pmat

haven’t seen that before. Perhaps NFR, IBelieveore or Jeff knows?

• 79 Spartan writes:
        January 31st, 20177:26 amat

Mixed content apparently from something linked outside of the site. I made a change to allow mixed content without the prompt and it went away… had to do it at the office, too. Weird.

• 89 Chemistry writes:
    January 30th, 20174:39 pmat

* I am ambivalent when it comes to following recruitment news.

Recently, that uncertainty was justified. Five days after flipping from Temple to MSU, WR Raheem Blackshear
    sent the following from his Twitter account (2Strong@speedy_heem):

“I am no longer committed to MSU
    7:59 PM – 29 Jan 2017”

Apparently he is now considering UConn and Rutgers. Ouch.

* I also have been remiss in tracking grayshirts in recent years, but this one — the fourth for 2017 — caught my eye:

• JerseyJohn writes:
      January 30th, 20175:51 pmat

i’m almost positive that losing out on this kid is no great loss, and like you, I too pay very little attention to any recruiting news until the class is signed.

• 89 Chemistry writes:
    January 31st, 20175:43 pmat

* Izzo says that Schilling’s loss this season has hurt Nick Ward’s development in that matchups in the post between the two would have been great in practice. Ward has been flu-ridden; he was “60%” and improving today; aims to improve his defensive rebounding; and expects to play Thursday in Lincoln.

* Izzo emphasized dribble penetration as a Spartan defense weakness.

* A long life has finally ended for one of MSU Football’s All-Time Greats:

• JerseyJohn writes:
      January 31st, 20175:49 pmat

RIP don coleman. played OL at 185 lbs.

• 89 Chemistry writes:
    February 1st, 201712:22 pmat

* Here is another article on Don Coleman. The lead quote grabbed my attention:

* Today is Football Letter of Intent Signing Day. Dantonio will begin a press conference in less than an hour to talk about those that signed today.

One recruit will not be signing today:

Under the circumstances, I speculate that MSU will try to find another defensive player in his stead. Not all recruits are committed on this first day that LOIs can be signed. The signing window remains open throughout February and March.