SIDEBAR
B
A
R
Temporary End To Bad Things Related to MSU
February 9th, 2017 by Jeffrey Lubeck

MSU Levels

I hereby order through Executive Authority  quin ius habent accusandi an end to all things bad related to Michigan State University (MSU) Sports for a Temporary Period.  Temporary Period for this Executive Order is defined as 18,250 Earth days.

During the Temporary Period I will establish from time-to-time alternate levels of measurement, standards, and otherwise excellent lines of thinking – Sicut non est esse simpliciter et sine provocatione praesertim per GoStateGo .

During the Temporary Period as a matter-of-record MSU – ac inter Non solum autem USMC (erant) – is the victor in all events and is not subject to lawsuits, investigations, retribution, and or anything otherwise construed by me (via Twitter if needed) as negative from any party, including but not limited to scUM supporters.

I do this for the safety of MSU, TUS and the greater good.

p.s. Buy all things branded as GM Voices products.

p.s.s. this Executive Order is not a Ban.

23 Responses
  • Jeffrey Lubeck writes:
    February 9th, 201711:09 pmat

While exacting an order fully compliant with the TUS Constitution that is so-good and so-right for MSU – beleive me – the so-called TUS Member GoSt8Go under the handle Pertaining has (today) created three separate avalanches that blocked me from leaving TUS HQ North. OUTRAGEOUS! I will see him in court if I can ever get there!

• Jeffrey Lubeck writes:
      February 9th, 201711:26 pmat

For the first-time I can recall The Sun Valley Ski Resort closed its ski mountains (Baldy, Dollar) completely – due to Extreme Avalanche Danger.

For the first-time I can recall The National Avalanche Center designated an Extreme Avalanche Danger Warning in entirety for six mountain ranges: Lost River – Pioneer – Smoky – Boulder – Sawtooth – Pioneer surrounding where I live and play. This represents about 4+ million acres of land or the equal to what NorthFork Rancher used to own until 2015.

• 79 Spartan writes:
        February 10th, 20171:31 pmat

I understand that there are several near the Rocky Mountain/Colorado ski areas… haven’t heard of closings though.

• 79 Spartan writes:
      February 10th, 20171:32 pmat

BTW: 73 degrees here right now… had lunch on the pool deck this afternoon.

• 89 Chemistry writes:
        February 11th, 20171:50 pmat

(With a Cuban cigar, I’m guessin’.)

• JustABum writes:
    February 10th, 20173:41 amat

Wakeup on a dreary cold and humid Irish morning and read a new TUS post and multiple bad MSU beat reports is not fun.

Is this rock bottom or just the worst possible MSU disasters leading to something bugger? If these are reactions to adversity from a NCAA football playoff spanking, first round NCAA march madness flop and the deaths of two well liked MSU Football players, then there is a better tomorrow. It starts with Cox who doesn’t appreciate his NYC cab ride, Cooper looses the rag on a parking cop and recreates a scene from Mel Brooks’ “Twelve Chairs” and now the not at all humorous, disgusting suspension of a MSU Football staff member and three players for sexual assault.

MSU is on the ropes and reeling in the public eye while scUM is a media darling. However, MSU Admin appears to be taking swift action and media coverage is not accusing MSU of a cover-up or denial. Perhaps tending to his own home contributed to Hollis’s resignation from that potential political nightmare of LEAD1?

• Jeffrey Lubeck writes:
      February 10th, 20175:47 amat

Interesting points and thoughts.

I thought, albeit naively, MSU in the 21st Century (as a whole) seemed to be immune to all of the bad events/news for which it is currently embroiled – because of the character of its people and program structures (e.g., Mark Dantonio).

Instead, it turns out MSU is proving to be similar to other large institutions; made up of human beings that are flawed souls succeptable to making (or being the victim of) poor choices made by themselves or others.

Now MSU has the possibility of harassment (in this case sexual) on its hands. Serious stuff, not to be taken lightly.

The recent underperformance by MSU sports teams – while disheartening and disappointing is quickly kicked to the curb in terms of importance when the possibility of laws being broken come onto the scene.

• JustABum writes:
        February 10th, 201712:32 pmat

I think you have summed up the situation in a rationale and humane manner.

On the other hand, I focused on probable cause and effect on human behaviour of student athletes. Kids with dreams working for recognition and opportunities to make a living playing a game. In 2017 those dreams come crashing down to an unimaginable depth none of MSU fans could have dreamt after the 2014 Rose Bowl, and some of those kids made bad choices … along with at least one MSU football staff member.

• Jeffrey Lubeck writes:
      February 10th, 20175:59 amat

It should be noted, I created and published this silly Post and added my first comment only to follow with a check of freep.com to see what was happening at MSU. The new happening was the suspension of 3 players headline. Followed by the Message parade by TUS Membership.

• JerseyJohn writes:
    February 10th, 20177:51 amat

here’s a positive thought. I believe that tori jankoska is one of the top five basketball players to ever put on a Spartan uniform….men or women.

• Jeffrey Lubeck writes:
      February 10th, 20179:38 amat

Agree. I think the number might be even higher, but some rather remarkable names pop up as you try to move anyone to #1.

Frankly, given the fact that Jankoska stayed for all four years, was All B1G Team (Mention to likely MVP 1st team this year and 2nd team as soph and Junior) and will leave with a degree it is hard for anyone to claim they were better!

• 79 Spartan writes:
        February 11th, 20173:21 pmat

+1 for #1

Great effort last game, even if the ladies came up short in OT. Without Tori, Tori, Tori they would never have gotten to the OT.

• BostonSpartan writes:
    February 10th, 20178:25 amat

So we have a sexual assault investigation, a band director indiscretion and a long time team doctor (Nassar) who was violating female student athletes for a decade or more. Nice

Not a good look for MSU. And it is looking more and more, to me anyway, that some degree of cover up may have occurred in some of this. BAD!

Could the oddly quiet, seemingly forced, departure of Sports Information Director John Lewandowski be related to the Nassar story? Is any of this connected to why the softball coach who has a long time terrible record has never been fired?

Is Mark Hollis anywhere to be found? Bueller? Bueller? LAKS? LAKS?

• JustABum writes:
      February 10th, 201711:04 amat

Your timeline of events recaps more than I recall and is more damning. The biggest threat of a cover-up may be the gymnastics staff’s involvement in suppressing complaints, I agree MSU admin does look worse when the softball coach’s bean ball accusations are included. Plus, a few years prior to Title IX procedural changes, MSU was accused of keeping many student-athlete criminal and sexual assault investigations categorised as internal matters with confidentiality.

How Lewandowski’s departure is linked to a cover-up is unclear to me. I thought his responsibilities mainly dealt with public information and not internal communications.

• BostonSpartan writes:
        February 10th, 201712:28 pmat

Yea JAB, hard to say and I am admittedly engaging in pure speculation. Which is probably uncool.

I think it best not to rush to judgment on any of this but I appreciate having the forum here of other Spartans where we can ‘talk out loud’ about it all and work out our frustrations.

I draw no conclusions, only ask questions that may never be answered!!

All the same the news is disturbing and depressing and it is hard not to react to it.

• JustABum writes:
          February 10th, 201712:41 pmat

I agree… I am not judging. Like you, I have lots of questions and seeking answers, but not patiently. A wait and see approach tends to be most prudent.

• Kindle writes:
      February 10th, 20175:50 pmat

The Mlive article on the Nassar scandal:

So damned disheartening to think that, as has been alleged, that this sexual abuse by Nassar took place over at least a 22 year span. MSU should have removed him from any trainer responsibilities and removed him as a instructor looong before the Indianaspolis Star investigative report.

This isn’t going away. This has the potential to be covered as deeply as Penn State. It would be hard to argue against the negative exposure that will likely snowball.

The mlive article tells that Nassar was viewed as “a god” and “put on a pedestal.” Best comment on that, “Many are capable of evil, of weakness. I will never understand putting anyone on a pedestal. Find me a pedestal. More often than not, it is an undeserved perch.”

• Jeffrey Lubeck writes:
        February 11th, 20173:28 amat

Oh my goodness that is a tough read.

My initial reaction is one of horror. If the contents of this story are ultimately proven to be true the implications to MSU will be material and long lasting. If proven true, the implication to MSU in the short-term will be negative beyond anything we have seen previously. If proven true, the implication to MSU in the long-term depends on its response as an institution and community culture.

• Kindle writes:
    February 10th, 20175:53 pmat

Attorney: Michigan State community should “brace itself” for Larry Nassar fallout
    February 9, 2017 by David Harns

• 89 Chemistry writes:
    February 11th, 20171:29 pmat

I might as well another rumor to the bonfire. It asserts the effect that MSU’s most decorated eligible defender was voted off the football team a week or more ago.

Unlike other contemporary rumors, this one has not been denied by any player’s Twitter account. And like everything else, we may have to wait until Dantonio’s next scheduled press conference (mid-March?) for a genuine reporter to even ask whether this player is still on the team.

I had hoped to work up and submit something about MSU’s football personnel profile in the coming weeks. Pending a naming (or a seemingly unlikely clearing of names) of those under Title IX investigation, the exercise seems pointless.

A little can be said about Cooper’s case. His alleged actions are such that a plea deal a la MacGarrett Kings or a half-season suspension a la Delton Williams may be untenable; barring acquittal, I think he will probably need to be replaced. With that in mind, note that Cooper is the only D-lineman on the roster with more than three career starts.

• 89 Chemistry writes:
    February 11th, 20171:56 pmat

* Here are some notes on Friday’s shootout loss at the Joe:

MSU Hockey will begin play at Yost in under four hours [BTN Plus].

* The Spartan women host Maryland tomorrow at 1400 ET (ESPN2). I expect this to be MSU’s final home loss of the season:

* But most here are thinking of the Brez tonight:
    (6 PM; BTN.) Vegas is hovering at a 78-71 outcome. I expect the men to win this one — or, failing that, to not win another game all year.

GO GREEN!

• JerseyJohn writes:
    February 11th, 20174:04 pmat

what is the over under for fran macaffery getting at least one technical tonight? I say it’s a push. the crybaby will get one.

• JerseyJohn writes:
      February 11th, 20176:15 pmat

no T’s for fran. nice win, now do it on the road.